Thursday, February 03, 2005

Nails on a Chalkboard

I get annoyed easily, at least at times.

Anyone that hangs around my office long enough will figure out that I "like" talk radio. I have this small boom-box (b-day gift when I turned 10!) that I usually keep dialed into the local conservative propaganda, er, Clear Channel station. (Seriously though, I do generally enjoy Rush, even though I do not always agree with him; I get a kick out of his more conspiratorial rants.) In truth, I just like to have the radio on for noise (gets lonely in that thar big office!), and I find commercial talk mildly more entertaining then the, ahem, high brow material on NPR (altough you can't beat Michael Feldman).

Which means that you have commercials. Now, when I used to keep the radio tuned to the local country station, every now and again a song would come on that, over a few days, I would grow to dislike. Downright hate, in fact, to the point that I would eventually either walk out of the room, or turn the radio off for a brief period until I was sure that the offending song had ended, to avoid hearing it yet again. (And no, it wouldn't be easier to switch stations. This radio tunes with an old-fashioned dial; nothing digital here! Unless I hear it in my car, in which case I usually do flip around.) It's cumulative too, so the more times I hear it, the more it angers me. Well, I had hoped that talk radio would avoid that problem. Really, hosts/guests may be grating at times, but never truly get on my nerves. It's only songs that annoy, and since talk radio, by definition, lacks them, I was in the clear.

I was wrong.

There is now, over the last week or so, a commercial that plays (seemingly incessantly at times!) that irritates me so much that I have returned to leaving the room, or switching the box off. It's the jingle! Total schmaltz, with the singer(s) having an annoying slightly out-of-tune voice, and several musical cliches that together make for a cheese-fest extraordinare and an it's-driving-me-so-insane-that-I-will-jump-out-my-window-or-slit-my-wrists-before-I-have-to-listen-to-it-again feeling.

I pray that God will end it quickly. Or, strike down with firey death whoever in anyway contributed to its creation and subsequent airing. Either way, I'll be happy once again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

You hide it well, zen master. I don't think of you as easily annoyed. I try real hard sometimes, and still I don't see it...

February 4, 2005 at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home